Leaders in innovation, leadership and collaboration recognized
Washington DC - September 23, 2010 - The Online Trust Alliance (OTA), today announced the winners of the 2010 Excellence in Online Trust Awards at the 5th Annual Online Trust & Cybersecurity Forum, hosted at Georgetown University. The 2010 awards included categories in individual leadership and organizations for their commitment in consumer protection and protection of critical infrastructure.
The individual award in Leadership was awarded to J. Trevor Hughes, Executive Director of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Under his leadership IAPP has grown to over 7,000 members in 50 counties, advancing the knowledge, stature and importance of the privacy profession. With a long track record in leadership, Hughes also formed the Email Service and Provider Coalition, (ESPC), who joined OTA in the early support of CAN-SPAM and the importance of email authentication.
This year's Excellence award in Public Policy was awarded to Ari Schwartz, most recently the VP and COO of the Center for Democracy and Technology, (CDT). Known as the "voice of reason" Schwartz has been known as one of the most influential person in DC for a balanced and pragmatic approach to privacy. His valuable input has helped hundreds of companies develop consumer-centric policies and solutions positively impacting hundreds of millions of user worldwide.
The 2010 Award for Excellence in Technical Collaboration was awarded to Jim Fenton, Cisco Distinguished Engineer. Jim's objectivity has directly impacted the development of Domain Keys Identified Email (DKIM), a merger of Cisco's and Yahoo!'s approaches to email authentication and most recently helped to navigate user-centric ecosystems. Jim has been recognized for his unique ability to build consensus and translate complex technical issues into business value.
Recognizing the importance of industry and trade organizations of collaborating, the 2010 awards in Excellence for Organizational Collaboration was presented to Larry Clinton, President and CEO of the Internet Security Alliance. Larry was recognized for his personal commitment to working with OTA and others organizations to help protect critical infrastructure, consumer and business from online threats.
In addition, ten additional awards were awarded to companies for Excellence in Online Trust including;
- Afilias - Excellence in Registry Services, for the commitment to working with the registry community, ICANN, APWG and other organizations advancing DNSSEC and developing .ORG. Their development of tools successfully have helped to block over 2.5 million conficker domains and aided anti-abuse policies, resulting in the suspension in over 100,000 abusive domains.
- DigiCert - Excellent in Customer Support for their unwavering commitment to support and customer satisfaction, including 24x7 support, "hand-holding" of small businesses and direct follow-up.
- eCert - Excellence in Emerging Email Fraud Solutions - Recognized for the focus and efforts forging relations with the banking industry, aiding in the protection of their domains from forgery and phishing exploits.
- Microsoft - Excellence in Technology Innovation & Empowerment - Microsoft Internet Explorer was recognized for its innovation and leadership including support of P3P, first browser to support Extended Validation SSL Certificates, first to integrate dynamic anti-phishing and anti-malware protection, protection from Cross Site Scripting Exploits and integration of privacy controls including InPrivate Browsing and InPrivate Filtering.
- Return Path - Excellent in Industry Education - Return Path's leadership team was recognized for their track record of putting trust and integrity ahead of profits in the development of tools and information sharing in email abuse and phishing trends. Their unselfish support and collaboration with the Direct Marketing Association, Email Experience Council , CAUCE, MAAWG and the Online Trust Alliance (OTA) was judged to be second to none.
- Secunia - Excellent in Desktop Security - Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI), offers user centric, dynamic protection by analyzing application, add-on and component vulnerabilities, a critical component in the arsenal to fighting online abuse and the promise of end-to-end trust.
- Trusteer - Excellence in Consumer Protection Services - Trusteer Raport was recognized as an innovative browser plug-on, working with over 50 financial institutions, providing teachable moments and equipping users to help protect their banking information from abuse.
- UnsubCentral - Excellence in User Email Controls. UnsubCentral's track record of advancing best practices include contributing to the Internet Engineer Task Force (IETF) of the "unsubscribe header", unsubscribe services supporting CAN-SPAM, and advancement of encryption of suppression lists from abuse, recognized as a best practice by OTA and other organizations.
- VeriSign (Symantec) Excellent in eCommerce Protection Solutions - VeriSign's broad offering and leadership in solutions to help protect commerce sites from abuse and enhancing consumer trust and confidence in the sites and banks they frequent was recognized including Trustmark program, support of EV SSL, Internet Trust Index and education programs.
OTA members companies were also recognized for their leadership and contribution to the trust ecosystem including Adperio, BoxSentry, Cisco, PreferenceCentral, DigiCert, Epsilon, Internet Identity, Intersections, LashBack, MarkMonitor, Message Systems, Microsoft, Return Path, Publishers Clearing House, Secunia, Symantec, TRUSTe and VeriSign.